Our Preventive Dentistry Services
Dr. Kayode Onanuga and the rest of our team are happy to provide patients of all ages with effective treatment for oral decay or damage – but we would honestly prefer to help you prevent these problems in the first place. Our focus on preventive dentistry enables us to protect and strengthen your smile, as well as teach you how to do the same at home through diligent brushing and flossing. We can also locate potential issues at the earliest possible stages, keeping the need for treatment minimal.
Check-ups & Cleanings
Dr. Onanuga strongly recommends patients of all ages attend 2-3 oral evaluations and hygiene appointments a year at Catonsville Dental Center. These important visits allow our team to provide instruction on how to better care for your oral health, discover any areas of damage or decay at the earliest stages, and refresh your smile. Your regular check-up will consist of a few important sections:
- We will review your past dental and overall health in case any of that information is relevant. If you are currently experiencing any pain or discomfort, please inform Dr. Onanuga of this so that he can keep the information in mind while reviewing your smile.
- We will take digital X-rays of your smile (if needed) so that Dr. Onanuga can view inner structures and form a complete picture of your oral health.
- Dr. Onanuga will perform a visual examination, carefully reviewing the surface of each tooth, your gums, your bite, and any current restorations that may need attention.
- An oral cancer screening will be performed so that we can determine if abnormal cells are present in your mouth.
A professional cleaning is then needed to then remove the build-up of plaque and tartar from the surface of your teeth. This process occurs gradually in the space between your appointments, and it happens like this:
- The clear, bacterial substance known as plaque develops over your teeth in a natural fashion, releasing acids and encouraging decay.
- If left untouched by regular brushing and flossing, plaque hardens to become tartar.
- The presence of tartar leads to damaging conditions like gingivitis and periodontal disease.
- Tartar is left unaffected by practicing oral hygiene at home; it must be removed by a professional.
Once our hygienist has thoroughly cleaned your teeth and gums, you’ll be sure to enjoy how polished and refreshed your teeth feel. Our Catonsville team can also clean your full or partial dentures.
Oral Cancer Screenings
On average, someone dies from oral cancer every hour, and only half of patients go on to live more than five years past their initial diagnosis. The silver lining of this destructive condition is that the rates of successful treatment are high if its presence is caught at an early enough stage. This is why Dr. Onanuga strongly recommends oral cancer screenings as a crucial part of regular check-ups for adults. We’ll inspect your mouth carefully and note any areas of potentially cancerous cells, as well as help you take the next steps towards a biopsy and concrete diagnosis, if needed. Your health and safety are always top priorities for our dental team!
Keeping teeth clean can sometimes be a challenge for kids with growing smiles. Thankfully, dental sealants from either of our locations serve as a much-needed shield against dangerous bacteria and plaque. Dental sealants fill in the tricky grooves and pits on back teeth and minimize the chances of cavity formation. While Dr. Onanuga typically recommends sealants for children, there may be times when adults benefit from them as well.
Because of its remarkable ability to remineralize teeth and strengthen enamel, we recommend fluoride treatment here at Catonsville Dental Center as an excellent tool in helping to reduce the risk of tooth decay. Regular care with fluoride can also help in cases of insufficient saliva, which is necessary to stop food particles from making direct contact with teeth. We recommend that patients drink fluoridated water and use toothpaste that contains fluoride at least twice a day as well. While fluoride is typically recommended for children with growing smiles, it can also significantly benefit adults who are prone to tooth decay, those who are physically handicapped, and those with dry mouth and other systemic illnesses.
Do you often wake up with painful morning headaches and teeth that are inexplicably sensitive or feel worn down? These symptoms could point to bruxism, also known as teeth grinding. Most patients suffer from this damaging condition at night, making it a difficult habit to break the habit. With a customized nightguard from Dr. Onanuga, patients from Catonsville and beyond enjoy extra protection for their smile and rest easy.
If you or your child loves playing sports, you surely never forget the helmet or knee pads. What about a mouthguard? Nearly half of all sports injuries involve the face in some way, and the last thing you want to worry about during the big game is whether your smile will stay intact or not. A personalized sportsguard from Dr. Onanuga makes all the difference in protecting teeth and soft tissue. Studies have shown that wearing one may reduce the severity of a concussion.